Saturday, November 12, 2011

sharks in pools - the journey continues


As you can already guess I went snorkeling again. A new pair of fins, another borrowed snorkel and I was good to go.

That I am writing this means that I didn’t drown, of course. I didn’t even come close this time. In fact I managed most of the exercises. (Yay!)

This time I learned how to blow the water out of my mask. After all that happened the last time I found this particular exercise to be rather easy.

There was a lot of diving involved as well, which turned out to be a stupid idea. In truth I got a bit carried away. After the normal exercises worked so well I kind of totally forgot that I still have that annoying tympanostomy tube in my left ear. (It’s been there for five months so you might understand how I tend to forget about it once in a while.)

So I turned once around myself while diving and thought for sure my eardrum was torn into a thousand shreds. It wasn’t of course but it hurt like a son of a bitch! For the remaining 15 minutes of the training I cleverly refrained from diving again.

I just cannot wait for that thing to come out. After all this time I will miss it. Not. It will be like a part of me is missing. Not. I swear I am so used to it by now that my head automatically takes this strange angle as soon as I step into the shower just to prevent the water from entering my ear.

Of course that didn’t prevent it from entering in the pool, duh.

Because of that rather inconvenient fact I ended up paying a visit to my otorhinolaryngologist (ear doc for short). I don’t know how they managed it but instead of the usual three hours plus I only had to wait one this time. Thankfully the doc said everything looked fine and assured me she had a really good look into my middle ear (creepy) and that there was no water remaining inside my ear.

If nothing else the feeling of my eardrum being ripped apart has made me realize that I will have to be more careful the next time I go snorkeling. At least it won’t be much longer until the tube is gone for good.

So how did I know there were no sharks in the pool? This time I did not only know because they didn’t snack on me. No! With the help of my totally fogless goggles I actually saw there was not one single shark swimming around my ankles. The simple trick is to put some toothpaste into your goggles, let it dry and then rinse them. For good measure I followed that treatment by rinsing again, using mouthwash this time. Add some spit to the mix before entering the pool and voila: you will have clear sight to watch all the cute little fishes swimming around you (or, as in my case, your fellow snorkelers).

Of course that doesn’t help when your feet keep floating around the surface. Thanks to my new fins, this time was a lot better than before.

In fact the beginners were so good our instructor decided to let us join the advanced snorkelers in training next time.

I am sure his decision was not based on my performance.

Though I did do a lot better than last time I still sucked. This is also why I am not sure how I feel about the prospect of swimming with people who are so much better than I am. I swim like a snail and not many people can compare to that.

Well I guess the others will just have to wait for me. After all it was not my decision.

At last! One thing that’s not my fault, hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment