Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Brazil 101: Round Five

It's over. Vorbei. Acabou (if you can trust google translate)! Finally I have sworn off Brazilian men forever and even though they might not believe me, I am completely, utterly serious. Now I can honestly say: Been there, done that (pun intended), ... not good enough for me.

Just imagine them to be Brazilians.
Sounds a little cruel, I know, but this is so not going to be one of those 'it's not you, it's me' things. Because, of course, it's totally them. Or maybe it's a mutual thing? Anyways, it's probably because I am finally out of the rebound and all fun phase and am now looking for something a little (or a lot, depending on my mood) more serious. With that I mean something that is not just a funny little game to be played every once in a while and more of the regular variety. All that is left is finding the guy to go with my new attitude. If only it were so easy to find Mr-Right! Mr-Right-Now you can find around every corner. Mr-Right? Not so much.
In any case, there is one thing left I want to share with you regarding my Brazilian 'adventure'. A few weeks ago I asked one of my Brazilian friends (male, of course) to go for a drink with me. He said he couldn't because he was visiting his girlfriend ...To say I was surprised is SUCH an understatement. I mean puh-lease! Brazilians and a serious relationship? I think the word relationship doesn't even exist in Portuguese. Or if it does, it most certainly does not hold the same meaning as in most other languages. As a result I was, of course, positively surprised to even hear him say the word girlfriend!
Due to fate (or bad luck maybe) I then met said friend on the bus the following Monday. As always curious and butting my head into business that isn't actually my own, I just had to confront him. So, with a wide smile on my face I playfully punched his arm and said: "Hey H., since when do you have a girlfriend? It totally cannot be that long, since you tried to pick up that girl at the party."
At that point I was sure they had been dating for two weeks at the most.
H.: "What party?"
Me: "You know, the one with the live band we went to last month."
H.: "I never tried to pick up a girl there."
Me: "Sure you did! Remember! The one with the dark hair. You even asked me whether she had a boyfriend."
H. (trying to look innocent and failing miserably): "I never tried to hit on anyone! I was already with my girlfriend at the time. I have been with her for over 6 months."
Me: "Oh wow, then I never said anything."

What I learned that day:
1. Men have a very selective memory.
and
2. Brazilians are not to be trusted. At least not when you're dating them.

Now the remaining question is: Are Brazilian girls the same way? Are they completely clueless? Or do they just chose to ignore it? My vote goes to one and three. To know for sure I would have to ask one and maybe one day I will. As for me: I am through with Brazilians...


No comments:

Post a Comment