Monday, March 26, 2012

Brazil 101: Round Three


Tuth: When a Brazilian is really in love and serious about a relationship he is faithful (or, as in every culture, the good ones are).
Question: How do I know whether he is serious or not?
Answer: You don’t.

Just imagine how much I laughed (please put a lot of emphasis on the sarcasm here!) when I heard that answer. Especially since I just started seeing a Brazilian. I say 'seeing' here because it is really hard for me to put a name tag on what is between us. Particularly after hearing the above mentioned. In Germany when we start a relationship with someone we automatically receive certain rights and responsibilities. These (should) include truthfulness, certain skin privileges and faithfulness. While starting into a (for lack of a better word) romantic relationship with a german guy I automatically assume that I receive them all. Otherwise it would not be considered a relationship by my standards. Also from my experience (and age) we usually do not start into a relationship without knowing whether we actually want it. Okay, so maybe we do. More often than we should, too. But even if we do, once you are in, you are in and the rules count. 
If you want out you break up and are free to do as you please. I do not believe I can expect the same from a Brazilian.
Now are you still asking why I have trouble defining that thing between us? Damn, I have the uneasy feeling that I am in for some ugly surprises.
On the bright side: I am still receiving compliments! Not from the afore mentioned guy (which is probably a bad sign) but from another brazilian friend who keeps cheering me up in my darkest moments (at least when he is not telling me: "You never know!" thereby causing my darkest moments himself).

Thank you for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment